Subject: [Leica] Rangefinder precision
From: c.blaue@bmsg.de
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:28:21 +0200

I have a problem with my Noctilux:

In the near range it does not focus correctly. At the distance of 1m to 1.2m
it is approximately 5cm off. This means instead of getting sharp eyes I get a
sharp nose or a sharp ear.

I had camera and lens checked by Leica (twice) and paid an amount of money for
which others could have been made happy with a new P&S. However, I
still have this focusing problem.

I think it is NOT the preciseness of the rangefinder, because I refocused
several times from infinity to 1m and it was ALWAYS off in the same
direction. So the RF seems to be very precise but not correctly adjusted.

Here is my question: Is it normal, that the near focus compensation of the
rangefinder does not work that precise? Have others of you the same problem.

(To verify I did the following:
I pinned a needle in the middle of a piece of paper with millimeter units on
it. I focused exactly on the needle and took the picture.)

Waiting for your answers

christoph