Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital printing and a bit more
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 01:23:25 -0400

<<For anyone who is playing/working with the Epson 700...I've been getting
very interesting results printing on heavy - 136 lb - all cotton rag water
color paper. The paper is hot pressed, satin finish, acid-free. I haven't
yet tried the archival inks, but I have sprayed the prints with a Krylon
"crystal clear" UV protective fixative. Will the prints be around 10, 5 or
even 2 years from now? I don't know. But they'll sure look great while
they're here. The paper comes in blocks of 20 sheets in various sizes - I've
been using 9x12.>>

They will be just fine 10 years from now.  Two years - maybe not...
The M6 can do the same, because adding to it could just get in the way of a
great thing.  The declaration of independence (my favorite story since I was
five) - they're spending millions restoring it.  So if you can last a couple
years, maybe you can last another hundred, etc.  The resurrection of
pinholes is already ...haunting us.  But they are new pinholes, most of the
time!  For the M6, it may not have taken off yet.  Sure, digital this,
computer that - but at the same time genealogy is big and so is
collectibles - antiques.  Who said around the turn of the century (last one)
"they don't make 'em like they used to"?  Yeah, some guy said it, but it's
all been more more more and the melting pot and the progression.  Now the
fruits of the labor are being used to refine things already established.  Go
tell someone in their nineties that they should have saved all their
furniture.  It's not primarily which is 'better' or more 'functional' it's
just what people want.  Old money?  This is a new thing, collecting money to
look at!  But it's there.  Just go give your M6 to anyone on the street (-
they will either think it's "genuine" or it's a remake.  It's neither.
Improvement and 'good old fashioned' are not mutually exclusive. And I've
yet to see a lack of appreciation when anyone,  photographer or not so
photographer, just picks up, for instance, an M6 and checks it out.  If they
have a problem with it they are probably a professional photographer or the
like (as the 'layman' wouldn't know what to argue anyway, nor care) and they
are justifying their stuff or just lying.  "But noone sits on antique chairs
or uses collectible money!"  Well, if they could perhaps they would (i.e. if
they could retain possession of their stuff).