Subject: [Leica] Montréal - ville incroyable!
From: Derek <ritdf@CAM.ORG>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:48:31 -0400

Phong, I am sure that you will enjoy your stay in Montreal. This weekend is
St.Jean Baptiste - the official kick off to summer in Montreal. The
quebecois celebration is quickly followed by the jazz fest and the short
but sweet summer just takes off after that.

Some photo opportunities in and around Montreal:

The view of the city from les iles notre-dame, ile st. helene, especially
pont de la concorde.

Old Montreal (any time of year, any time of day) right now full of
tourists, roller bladers, and gawkers.

St.Laurent / St.Denis for the city scene. This is about as close as
Montreal gets to Soho, Grenwhich village. Just starts to wake up around 11
p.m.

The Jazz fest & multitude of other outdoor festivals.

Bongo/tam tams every sunday at the statue on the east end of Mt.Royal (then
head over to Cafe Santrepol for some tasty (and others not so tasty)
sandwhiches.

Mount Royal is full of joggers, cyclists, sun cult members.

Downtown, Westmount, the goldon square mile for people, architecture ...

For sport photos you can catch an Impact soccer game and get almost right
to the sidelines, watch some amateur rugby, go to the Olympic bassin to
photograph rowing, the lachine canal bike path, lachine rapids (in lasalle)
for incredible whitewater kayaking, ....

That should get you started. I won't reveal too much because that will take
some of the fun out of it. If you are around on weekends I hope that you
get a chance to get to the Eastern Townships or the Laurentians to enjoy
the 'mountians'.

As for camera equipment, I have not had to purchase much gear here in
Montreal, but have heard various stories (you make up your own opinion)
about Simon down towards old Montreal and York on St.Catherine street. Some
other local stores also carry new Leica, but the previous two are among the
few I have seen with used gear.

Bienvenue a Montreal!
Derek

PS. Four days off from work, a whitewater paddling trip planned to North
Quebec and the M3. Sounds good to me