Subject: [none]
From: Dr Rolf Freier <freier@scm.de>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:04:53 +0200

Dear LUG-subscribers,
Since I did not get any response to my questionnaire request posted 16.6. and re-send 21.6. to the list as e-mail plus attachment I assume it has not reached you. I therefor re-send my letter and the questionnaire in one mail without attachment. This time no longer hoping rather praying for response.
Rolf
Marburg, 23.6.99

My background:
I am a relatively new subscriber to the list, repatriated from South Africa last year, where I worked as an executive for a German development agency.
Being a former science journalist I am a dedicated amateur photographer since many years. I always had a keen interest in the fate of the German optical industry and its uphill battle against the Japanese competition from the sixties onwards. After some twenty-five years of photographic steeplechasing cross Voigtlaenders, Yashicas, Asahi Pentax's, Nikons, Rolleis and Leicas I ended up as a Leica only user (M and R plus occasionally Rollei MF).
As a freelance consultant in the field of international development co-operation I currently go somewhat astray by communicating with the new Leica management in Solms, some 40 km from my location in Marburg, with regard to the brands performance and future. In order to enhance my information basis
I designed a questionnaire that I would like to put to the LUG-subscribers. The questionnaire is my intellectual property (what a word !) and originates from my personal commitment. It is not commissioned by Leica and I'm am not acting in any third party interest. I would like to make the evaluation of the answers available to the LUG-subscribers and if substantial to the Leica management. Looking forward to your e-mail answers and remarks to freier@scm.de

Please contact me in case of any difficulties with the attachment.

With kind regards from Marburg, Germany,
(still) quite close to the red spot
Rolf Freier
21.6.99

LUG-Leica-Questionnaire

0. You are (please indicate):
amateur; serious amateur; professional
	M-user; R-user; 35mm Compact user; Digital Compact user
Your age:	Your sex: 	Your country:

1. What are your immediate and foremost associations with the word Leica ?

2. Give your three main reasons for buying/using Leica products.

3. Which are the three most important properties that you would expect from any new Leica product?

4. Which main reasons for not using Leica products do you remember from colleges or friends?

5. Which differences to a good competitors product (e.g. Nikon, Canon), if any, do you ascribe to a Leica product a) in terms of utility value c) in terms of image/lifestyle value ?

6. If you are an exclusive M-user give your most important reasons for it and for not using R-equipment

7. If you are an exclusive R-user give your most important reasons for it and for not using M-equipment

8. How do you asses the R8-design in comparison to the R4-R7-design ?

9. What do you expect from Leica 35mm Compact Cameras complementing the R- and M-range?

10. What do you expect from Leica Digital Compact Cameras complementing the 35mm Compact respectively M- and R-range?

11. What relationship do you assume between Generation X (age 20 -28) photographers and Leica products and/or the Leica brand image?

12. Which particular feature/s do you miss with the Leica a) M-range b) R-range
c) 35mm Compact-range d) Digital Compact Camera

13. If you were Leica's ingenious engineer/magician what would be the Leica dream product you would create instantly?

14. Which improvements do you suggest with regard to a) Leica's external communications
b) Leica's product advertisement and c) Leica's product information?

15. Which improvements do you suggest with regard to a) Leica product distribution and
b) Leica product technical service?

Please answer per e-mail to
freier@scm.de
and refer to the numbers while answering, thank you indeed.

(c) rolf freier marburg 6/99