Subject: Re: [Leica] MLU
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 00:46:22 -0700

"Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" wrote:

> Actually Mark, all tests I have seen point to the fact that the Mamiya 6
> especially has remarkable optics that better Hasselblad's Zeiss optics.
>
> Peter K
>
> > Mark Rabiner wrote:
> >
> > We love our rangefinders; and we love our optics too. I know a guy who
> > is selling his Mamaya 6. Because it didn't compete with his Hasselblad
> > optically? That could be the reason although I have to get around to
> > asking him. He might be reluctant to tell be because He wants me to buy
> > it. I'm intrigued by the 35mm panoramic capability on the 6 and the 7
> > the 6 might be available much cheaper.
> > I anticipate the optics on these Mamiya's being a let down to the Zeiss
> > and Leitz acclimated. I'm sure someone is making loop de loop claims to
> > the contrary but I'm not sure of any consensus or impressive test
> > results to back that up. How good do these optics need to be? That's up
> > to you. You've got those Hasselblad prints hanging on your wall.
> > Mark Rabiner

I thought I was up on the doings of the majority of magasizes but if
Mamiya is garnering those kinds of raves whether I happened to have seen
them or not it's probably got Hasselblad rethinking its marketing
statagegy among other things. If you happen to recall just who or what
magazines or reviewers are making such claims I would be interested
enough to check out their piece. Or as Gowland was just quoted as saying
a test is worth a bunch of opinions if anyone who has shot both has an
opinion that would be another opinion. It would have to shoot a test to
get me to go along with this. If Erwin would say it I might for the
first time start to doubt Erwin. That's how much of an apparent die hard
Hasselblad nut I seem to be. Yippie ki yaa. It's just going to take some
doing for me to go along with the idea that Mamiya has come out with a
bunch of lenses bettering Zeiss. Of course you are not saying so Peter
you are just saying that a bunch of reviewers are saying so you are not
saying that this sounds plausible to you or you have experience to back
it up or to the contrary. I think Mamiya is a very nice company but I
will be very surprised when I prove it to myself that they have outdone
Zeiss. Anything is possible.
Mark Rabiner