Subject: [Leica] Mercury, Alkaline, and Silver Oxide Batteries
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:30:28 -0700

The 3 batteries are different as follows:

Mercury have a constant 1.35v even as they expend their energy.  This
constant is why they were the prime choice in many cameras for metering
systems. They also have a 10+ year shelf life where as Alkalines are
generally 1/2 that at best.

Alaklines have a 1.6+ volts even though they indicate 1.5v per battery with
the drop off curve being slow and steep.  At the end of their life cycle
they will generally test about 1.35v where the mercury battery would
normally be.

Silver Oxide are a bit in the middle at around 1.55 volts.  They offer more
constant output, a linear drop off (not steep) and will provide a somewhat
longer life than alkalines.  Silver Oxide batteries offer a longer shelf
life than Alkalines.

Peter K