Subject: Re: [Leica] my M lens and b+w film test
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:56:01 -0700

Dan Cardish wrote:

> That's strange.  A book I recently picked up (The Film Developing Cookbook
> by Anchell and Troop) mentions that the grain of Agfa 400 developed in
> Rodinal 1:50 is finer than Tri-X.  To quote them: "It [Rodinal] is most
> successful with Agfa 400, a film that exhibits noticeably finer grain, than
> Tri-X."   I suppose they mean when developed in similar developers.
>
> Elsewhere they comment that Agfa 400 exhibits the best gradation of all 400
> speed films.
>
> TheY
>
> Dan C.
I do remember reading that and they said a number of other things when
went against my  and general direct experience but I still think they're swell.
I believe there is a consensus among photographers that Agfa films
gradate real well but you pay for it with mucho extra grain. Rodinal
anyone knows is grain city. Combine the two and what have you got: grain
on your grain, with some more grain added for good measure. Just run out
and buy a roll, shoot it and run it and if you don't agree I'll
personally say "sun of a gun!". I get more grain with Agfapan 100 and
Rodinal than I do with Tri X. But strait line gradation like you never
saw; creamy mid tones and highlights.
Mark Rabiner