Subject: AW: [Leica] voltage dependence and regulators (was gossen, batter ies etc..)
From: Michael Dienert <MDienert@foq.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 18:53:48 +0100

	hello everybody,

	a voltage regulator is an electronic circuit which transforms an
unstable input voltage (eg. from a battery) into a stable output
voltage. the use of such regulators is very common in modern portable
electronics but i doubt that elder CdS lightmeters have a built-in
regulator. they just were not available as integrated cicuits (IC) in
the sixties and early seventies.
	the leica CL has no regulator. if the SL has one i do not know,
but if someone lends me one i can figure it out.

	most light-meters using CdS cells use a simple electronic
(bridge-) circuit to transform the light dependent resistance of the CdS
cell to a proportional voltage which is measured with an analog meter.
thus the meter's readout is dependent on the voltage one uses to power
the circuitry.
	the different batteries: silver-oxide, alkaline and mercury have
different output voltages. the reasons are different electrochemical
voltages of the electodes. so changing the battery type might result in
a wrong meter readout.

	with lightmeters using a silicon photo-diode (eg. the m6) the
case is different. to transform the output signal of a photo-diode (it's
a small electric current) into a meter reading a more sophisticated
electronic circuit is needed. and this kind of circuit will surely be
independent on small variations of battery voltages.

	a CdS cell can easily be identified by the meander line on its
surface.

	yours

	michael