Subject: [Leica] M3 System Questions
From: Jim Campbell <jcampbel@trihedral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:01:05 -0300

My Dad recently gave me his M3 system (M3 body c/w collapsible 50mm f2
Summicron and MC meter) which he purchased new in 1956. He hasn't used
in the last 10 years or so. I have played with it a bit and have
noticed the following problems:

1) Lens Fogging-- I understand this is a problem with '50s generation
   Leica lens. The fogging is visible if I shine a penlight through
   the lens and prints I have shot look noticeably "soft". I have
   talked to Kindermann here in Canada and their tech. seems to think
   that it could be the coating and that it will be at least $150
   (CDN) to open it up. I also contacted David Yau, an independent
   service guy in Toronto, and he has quoted me "about $60" to clean
   the lens as best possible without detiorating the
   coating. Initially I thought that it was just matter of getting the
   lens cleaned; now it sounds like it might be beyond economic
   repair. Any opinions on what my chances are of getting it cleaned
   so it usable and where I should get it cleaned?

2) MC Meter-- The meter seems to read reasonably on the high (black)
   range but selecting  the low (red dot) range does not seem to have
   any effect on the reading. Is the meter worth repairing? Used MC
   meters seem to sell in the $50-$100 range. Maybe I should just get
   a good used handheld meter. Opinions?

3) About 15 years ago Dad was having shutter-synch problems on flash
   pictures. At least I assume it was synch problem since the left
   hand side of the print would be obscured by a dark band. Dad sent
   it to Kindermann for what he called an overhaul but what I assume
   was a CLA of the body. However, shortly after it the same problem
   occured. I tried a few flash shots recently at 1/25 and didn't see
   the problem. What is the correct synch speed for an M3? If this
   problem reappears does it indicate that the shutter needs to be
   overhauled?

I normally shoot with a Nikon FE2 and am fairly happy with it. I don't
have much money to spend but I would like to try the "Leica
experience" for myself.

Jim Campbell