Subject: Re: [Leica] Summarit/Summilux performance
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 08:01:57 -0400

Robert,

I used a Summarit for many years with decided satisfaction, even wide open,
on a IIIf.  I sold it a couple of years ago as I gradually migrated toward
the Contax G system and back to Leica Ms.  I use a 35 Summilux now, which I
think is absolutely spectacular and, to my eye, vastly superior to the
Summarit--across the whole range of available light-apertures and w/ B&W
and color neg. and transparency stock.  On it's own merits, the Summarit's
a nice lens--in comparison w/ the Summilux, it's a dated lens that shows
it's weaknesses (esp. in contrast)

Chandos

At 09:04 PM 6/13/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Bonsoir,
>
>   In a couple of weeks I ll probably be in the very sweet period of the year
>when I will be able to afford another M lens (new or used? we ll see).  I do
>a fair amount of shooting in low light and my budget only allowed me the use
>of a Summarit (SM with adapter) on my M5.  I am thinking of either the 50 or
>35 Summilux (non ASPH).  Anyone knows first hand the performance of these 2
>lenses wide open (1.4 & 2) in comparison to the Summarit?
>
>   Thanks in advance,
>
>   Robert (Un chevalier sans blason)

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http:www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown