Subject: RE: [Leica] Dear Dr. Black Tape (was Rubber bands and Softies)
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:03:39 -0400

Dear Kim:

Dr. Black Tape can understand your confusion.

A "softie" is a soft shutter release button designed and manufactured by Tom
Abramson. It is a wide button that screws into the cable thread in the
shutter release and greatly improves the smoothness of the release - some
say it can give you an additional hand-holdable speed - i.e., if you can
hold at a 15th of a second without the softie, you can hand-hold at an 8th
with the softie.

The only drawback to the softie is that, because it sticks up from the top
of the body, it is easilly tripped in the camera bag or by the users
clothing. Thus the rubber band. When looped around the softie it keeps the
shutter being accidentally tripped.

Many LUGers, however, like Jim Brick, eschew such foppery and prefer the
naked softie in all it's glory.

Dr. Black Tape is impressed!