Subject: Re: [Leica] Useful tripod ?
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 00:33:57 -0700

4season wrote:

> For the life of me, I've never been able to figure out what the point of
> the Leica tripod was! Rigid, yes, but not too versatile. I believe
><snip>Me, I'd rather have an itty-bitty Gitzo 026.
>
> Jeff

That's a little small. Ever use it? Much more usable for a camera with a
waist level finder.
You think you're going to crouch down? No. Your not going to use the
tripod. At that size you might actually have it with you as it attaches
to the bottom of your camera bag. But use it? As a table top maybe. 35mm
cameras are primarily eye level cameras, and as such though smaller than
other formats require a tripod that will be steady at eye level. That's
darn high. Waist level is way lower than that. That 0## series Gitzo of
yours is perfect for a Rolleiflex believe it or not and I'm not
forgetting this is my opinion.
My contention is this: it's easy to make a tripod that only has to
suspend something 30 inches in the air. 60 inches in the air is two
leagues away. Not an easy job. I think you can get by maybe with a 1##
series Gitzo tripod for a once in a blue moon shot. A 2## which I
believe is the "Reporter" size is much more real world usable.
Ah to be Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec!
You'd save money on tripods and have better luck with women!
Mark Rabiner