Subject: Re: [Leica] PC language (prev. "Let's move on ?")
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 06:21:53 +0000

>>Did you all hear the one about the Yuppie Blonde who use a Mont Blanc to
>>write her E-mail?
>>
>>Marc
>

>to keep this strictly pc, shouldn't we reprase this little anecdote in the
>following fashion:
>
>did you hear ['you all' could be seen as having a slightly pejorative
>resonance in this context] the one about the non-economically-challenged
>['yuppie' is too 'slangy' and may hide possible hostile overtones] a-brunet
>[avoid 'blonde' - especially with the final e - it is too derogatory] who
>used [note the past tense, implying that this simple blunder has been
>remedied] a fountain pen [never mention brand names] to write e-mail [by
>using the plural, we can dispense with the unfortunately gender-specific
>possessive adjective]?
>
>guy

When all these so called politically correct language came about, I
initially was amused.  Then when I realized that they were here to stay
(especially by the people who like to use them), I soon had to learn some
new vocabularies.  Then it became quite irritating when one "have to think
twice" before we call black "black, and white "white".

The words "vertically challenged" actually means short or stunted.  Any
short man within hearing range will know that people are talking about his
"shortness" and so am I to believe that this euphemism is suppose to make
even Hitler feel better?

I am thankful that LUG language is always direct, most times honest,
sufficiently informative, generally  helpful, sometimes flamey,
occasionally insulting, rarely personal, 80% on leica topics, the rest
being flavours from all parts of the globe which help spice up the
discussions.

Dan K.