Subject: Re: [Leica] close focus rangefinder setting
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 10:54:13 EDT

In a message dated 6/13/99 10:16:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dcardish@microtec.net writes:

<< I noticed this too with my 1st version aspheric.  And I too worried about
 something being wrong with the camera or lens.  But I also noticed that at
 the advertised minimum distance of .7 m the rangefinder still worked so I
 surmised that things were OK.  The same thing happens with both my M6 bodies.

 Dan C.

 At 09:49 AM 13-06-99 -0400, Ed wrote:
 >I recently traded in my 35mm f/2 Summicron for the ASPH version.  I noticed
 >that with both lenses on the M6, you can turn the focus lever beyond the
 >0.7 m setting which is supposed to be the minimum focus range for these
 >lenses.  [snip]

              You could probably place a focusing screen from an SLR across
the film plane of the M6, set the lens at its minimum, move in on a subject
until it's sharp and then physically measure the actual distance.  The 21
Super Angulon is scale-marked all the way to 0.4m although the M rangefinder
stops working at 0.7.  With the 35's narrower angle of view, at less than the
0.7m setting I would suspect that viewfinder parallax might become an issue,
too.
DT