Subject: Re: [Leica] Let's move on
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 23:33:21 +1000

George Huczek wrote:

> You know, I've been wading through reams of messages on this list over the
> past few days dealing with fountain pens, sports cars, watches, rifles, and
> other such things.  While they may be of interest to some, I really think
> that we should give these topics a rest.  I subscribe to this list to get
> information and to share ideas about anything pertaining to Leica cameras
> and photography.  These other things that have been discussed ad nauseam
> are so far off topic and inappropriate on this list that I feel that I have
> to say that I am very disappointed that they should be continuing for so
> long.  I'm surprised that so few people have spoken up about this.  By all
> means, if any of you want to continue taking about your favorite malts or
> pencils or other such topics, go find yourselves some chat room or another
> usergroup where such things are welcomed, but keep these kinds of topics
> off a list that should remain focused [sic] on Leica and on photography.

George,

You make  it sound like you have to pay to be on this list. You don't. Its for
free, and so is the conversation and so are the topics. They are free too.
Looking through your email, I only found some winging and whining. I did not
find any suggestions about a new subject.
The fantastic part about this LUG is the diversity the members provide. All
that is ever needed to start a new topic, is to ask some specific question, or
to make a specific comment. It is up to you to get it going. It needs your
constructive input.
You may not have noticed, but just about all the topics are related in one way
or the other to Leica products.
For example, there is a definite correlation between a watch or fountain pen
and a Leica camera. All these objects capable of being manufactured to the
highest standards. They also have a special aura. They are not only high
quality user articles, but also jewelry. Yes this includes the Leica too. Just
look at it, or its accessories closely. Anything made by Leitz or Leica not
only performs well, but also looks perfectly engineered. Just like a high
quality watch, or fountain pen,  or even some cars. Its all related.

Really, all the LUG members (800 or so) have most of the time something
interesting to say. I learned a quite a lot from all the various questions
asked and answered. Be they
directly related to Leica or just some other subject that came up during the
discussion.
I don't necessarily agree with every thing said, but that keeps the discussion
lively and interesting.

If you really don't want to see any more of one specific topic, you can always
use the delete button. That's for free too.

Regards, Horst Schmidt

PS. I use a Pelican fountain pen, I still have my original school pen (I
received about 45 years ago). It still works. However I  use the later models
when writing. Never had a problem with any.  The secret with the old pens to
stop them from leaking, is to keep them filled with ink, when used, or with
water when stored. Store them  horizontally. This stops  the cork plunger from
drying and shrinking. The modern pens don't have this problem anymore -I
believe-. They have a plastic plunger. It should not shrink when dry.