Subject: Re: [Leica] 15mm Heliar
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 23:07:16 +0200

Raimo (and others),

I hope that you get your lens in the timeframe promised. I was going to order
one from a dealer in Germany, but when I called to check if it was actually in
stock I was told June (this was in early May). I suspect that if I called today
they would tell me July...

I then ordered one from Fieldgrass & Gale in London, but three weeks later they
still had not received a promised delivery. Apparently these things are selling
like hot cakes. But yesterday I finally got lucky. I was in London on business
and was on my way to a reception when I passed the R.G. Lewis shop on
Southampton Row. I popped in to see if they had an ERC for my SL2 and
voila--there it was, a 15mm Heliar in front of my very eyes. I believe it was
the last one they had, and I snapped it up, 299 GBP (around $480). However, no
screw-to-M adapters in stock there; neither did I have any luck at Jessops
Classic or Classic Cameras. However, this afternoon I found one at Foto
Nivo-Schweitzer in Amsterdam, so tomorrow I will be prowling the narrow street
around Grand' Place in Brussels with this beauty. And it is a beauty indeed,
worthy to be mounted on a Leica.

I also handled the Bessa-L camera at R.G. Lewis, and it was very nice too. It
felt a bit like a cross between a Leica and a Konica Hexar. If they come out
with a version with a rangefinder, we are talking a serious alternative to LTM
Leica bodies.

Nathan

Raimo Korhonen wrote:

> The Heliar is available in Finland, too - imported via Germany and they all
> come with the Bessa-L body. Delivery time around six weeks. Price 4.300 FIM
> or $750 US and yes, you can buy just the lens but the price of the body is
> only about $52 so you tend to get the body as well - at least I did,
> ordered one today. It was love at first sight - and even stronger at second
> sight when the FotoMagazin (GER) test results were shown to me.
> All the best!
> Raimo
> Photos at http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen
>
> PS: as the message below is partly undecipherable I´m not sure what
> currency it refers to.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium