Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and Watches.
From: Lucian Chis <chis@ece.orst.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:53:47 -0700 (PDT)

I do agree that Swiss watches are great (my daily wear is an Omega, as is
my father's, after his Girrard-Perregaux High Frequency crapped out), but
since you brought this up in the local patriotism spirit, let me tell you
that for a long time american timepieces were better made, kept better
time and lasted longer than swiss ones. You may
recall that for a good many years the swiss were using american made
assembly lines as well as machinery. Sort of a reversed Bolsey situation.
You may not admit it, in the arrogant horolegeur suisse style which turns
the nose up at anything american in their shows, but I invite you to
attend an american watch show in order that you get an objective opinion
on things. The thing that most of us agree on is that Rolex is way out of
proportions overrated in the English speaking world. Mechanics AND style
included. But all nations have their snobs!
Unfortunatelly, the great american names haven't put out a mechanical
watch in ages!
Now about swiss watches and Leica, let me tell you that the ALPA 10d I
had reminded me a lot more of swiss watches (maybe clocks) than any Leica,
but that's another story! Just think of the depth of field indicator on
the 50/1.8 Kern Macro-Switar! Good lenses too, even though I prefer Leica.

Lucian

NO archive!