Subject: [Leica]OT: Cross-country trip. Suggestions greatly appreciated.
From: Paul Klingaman <pklingaman@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 07:22:54 PDT

Dear LUG,

I have decided to take a trip with my best friend this summer across most of
the United States(From Denver, PA to Denver, CO; with a pit stop in Boston).
  And so, I thought calling in the big dogs(members of the LUG) for advice
would be a good idea.  I'd like to make the "Great American Portfolio" on
this trip.  I was thinking of avoiding major highways and driving through
America's backyard to capture the people of this great land on film.  The
trip will be made in an early model Volkswagon Carmen Ghia.  The budget will
likely only be a few hundred dollars, and a little extra scratch for a
T-shirt in every state.  Cheasy hotels will probably be too expensive, so
camping will probably be the norm.  My cargo list includes: 1 M6 with 35 and
50 summicrons, 1 Minolta Autocord, 1 Holga 120s, 1 Olympus Stylus, 2
flyrods, and a small amount of toiletries and clothing(Carmen Ghias are
*small*).  Here's where the questions start to roll.  Does anyone have
suggestions for this trip?  I'm sure many of you out there have done this,
and hindsight is 20/20.  Have I missed something in my cargo list which I
absolutely can't do without(aside from film)?  What I'm hoping to attain
from all this is a compiled list of must-have's, most-see's, and must-do's.
When it's all said and done(and printed) I'll likely post the images on a
website for your perusal.  In the interest of saving server space for the
lug, I would also welcome personal email responses to
pklingaman@hotmail.com.  Thanks to all who reply in advance and the others
who have graciously answered my questions, leica and otherwise, in the past.

sincerely,
Paul Klingaman