Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital film scanning - Canon FS2710
From: "Tim Atherton" <timphoto@nt.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:48:21 -0600

I recently decided to get a scanner, but had been hunting around for
something affordable.

Having had good reports from users of this new Canon scanner, I decided to
go for it. At CDN$899.00 or US$699.00 it seems to outperform both slightly
older Nikon scanners (LS20/LS1000), as well as the Polaroid Sprintscan Plus,
for a much better price.

IMHO an excellent deal.

Following is a quick and ready report I wrote for another list:

The new scanner arrived. After 24hrs coping with conflicting SCSI cards, IRQ
numbers etc, it is now up and running.

I must say my initial impression is very good.

This is a quick and ready report, and definitely not very rigorous.

The scanner seems excellent for the price (CDN$899.00 or US $699.00)

It scans to 2720 ppi up to 36 bit at 3.2 density. (at 36 bit you get a 50+MB
file at 24 bit around 25MB+)

The interface is easy to use (with plenty of options and control  - colour,
lightness, contrast etc).

I scanned a slide basically using the default set up as is and got an
excellent result. Tried a few other ones, some tricky and it was pretty good
on most of them, with very little adjustment to be done in the scanner.

It also works well for B&W -  I got one print with a better tonal range than
one I did in the darkroom - but maybe that was just my darkroom work :).
Haven't tried colour neg yet  - I would imagine it is also very good.

The only other scanner I have to compare it to is the Nikon LS20 Coolscan II
and IMHO it beats that in all areas I can think of.

It does have a kind of crummy manual APS adapter, but I'm not too bothered
about that.

And the Neg strip holder seems a little flimsy/plastic, but that seems
standard for most scanners? I guess I can order a spare for $30.00?

Good shadow detail (better than the Nikon - very little noise by
comparison), little blooming, exceedingly sharp (viewed on an 8x10 Epson 700
inkjet print at 1440 dpi).

Overall, so far, I am VERY pleased, especially considering the price. I let
you know if I get any major problems.

Earlier Canon scanners and software don't have a good reputation. This one
seems different.

Tim A