Subject: Re: [Leica] was Pens now Pencils
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:31:16 -0500

My first post to the "I don't have any thing better to do and LEICA USERS
GROUP"  :)

I find pencils much more satisfying than ANY pen. The rich wooden barrel,
finished in organic paints of various bright colors with gold embossed
lettering - what joy! To say nothing of the luscious feel and look of
graphite (No.2 of course) on paper. The way that graphite smears a bit on
the paper when touched gives a certain bokeh to the document - although
many cannot discern this much discussed factor and dismiss it as being a
figment of other's over active imagination.

I always prefer to write with a pencil - except for the round ones, no
real connoisseur of writing instruments would ever stoop to using a round
pencil unless of course he was one of those who actually prefer writing
with a pen, the devil's instrument. Octagonal pencils are to be preferred
always.

I've used pencils from the very first time I ever wrote - excepting
crayons which are actually DRAWING INSTRUMENTS and can be left out of
this discussion - and over the years have owned many variations of the
pencil and found them uniformly better than any pen, especially the new
roller ball variety with auto everything which strip the user of any
control over their writing and make even the most accomplished writer a
lesser man for their influence. Many a man has been led down a slippery
slope by these instruments only to find themselves using fountain pens in
a vain attempt to somehow justify their pen habit.

In my book "A History of the Pencil and its Variants" I've detailed many
more of my findings and so I will not waste your time with further
pronouncements on pencils, pens and writing beyond the following:

The use of pens is to be abhorred and avoided at all costs. Persons who
habitually pens are certainly doomed to a life of addiction and misery.
only through the careful and continued use of the pencil will the writer
find redemption and true happiness.

Pencillay,

Henry

I don't believe in iconsŠ