Subject: [Leica] MOOLY question [reply in detail]
From: MGMcGough@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 01:07:24 EDT

  MOOLY motors for the shorter body (3mm) Leica IIIa & IIIb were made from
  1938 to to 1940.  They were chromed & had an easily lost transmission arm.
  A rarer version was made for the longer die cast body of the IIIc and needed
  no actuating arm as it was built-in. Some of these were made for the German
  Military in gray or black but these are very rare & sell for about $5000
when-
  ever they come on the market.  The lesser priced model (IIIa & IIIb) will
sell
  for between $900 & $2000 and the arm alone will cost you about $300 if lost.

  Both of these motors were wind-up clockwork type, giving 12 exposures per
  wind.  There probably were less than 5000 motors made altogether with the
  last very rare grey K's reaching the market as late as 1947.  Today they are
  an extremely desirable collectors item in the same price range as the
Thambar
  and remember that they never need batteries.

   Mary Grace (de Milo)