Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital film scanning
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 02:34:52 -0400

Subject: [Leica] Digital film scanning

<Have any of you had experience with Nikon's new LS-2000 scanner?  I have
been using an LS-1000, but the digital ICE feature that removes scratches,
dust, etc., would be a real time saver.

How much better than the LS-2000 than its predecessor?  Subjective
impressions welcomed.

Oh yes...on topic, I will be scanning Leica images.  ;-)

I use the LS-1000.  I've never really considered a 2000.  I am also not too
knowledgeable on the "ICE" - removing scratches?  From the scanned image, I
would imagine.  Otherwise I'd get it just to fix my slides, negs.
Dust...  I think the decision lies in your applications - if you are
scanning as a primary process involving specifications that are high and
must be met, and you find yourself constantly cleaning up in photoshop, etc,
then maybe it's a good idea.  The 1000 at least is a "one-image"
type-scanner, where you are involved (unless you have the neighbors scanning
when you're out shooting) - then...
But I think the upgrade is not so "up" - then again maybe you can swap at a
nice price.  I use mine for LEICA slides, negs, that are really bad (I use
about one bad one per 34 bad ones out of 36 exp.) - on and off.