Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital film scanning
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 18:33:30 -0400

At 03:05 PM 6/8/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Have any of you had experience with Nikon's new LS-2000 scanner?  I have
>been using an LS-1000, but the digital ICE feature that removes scratches,
>dust, etc., would be a real time saver.
>
>How much better than the LS-2000 than its predecessor?  Subjective
>impressions welcomed.
>
>Oh yes...on topic, I will be scanning Leica images.  ;-)
>
>Thanks,
>Jim

Hi, Jim -

I upgraded from the Coolscan II to the LS-2000 and I love it.  Be aware
that you can't use the ICE feature on B&W or Kodachrome.  The software
reads the silver in both as dirt and tries to erase it.  You can turn off
the ICE, though, and it works fine - just clean the film before you scan
it.  The dynamic range and resolution for this scanner are better than any
I've seen.  I have the LaserSoft software, but find that I use the regular
Nikon software more often.  Go for it!  If you have any questions, I'll be
back in July and would be glad to help.

Leically,

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP