Subject: RE: [Leica] hey Jim, what do you think of M6 meter?
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:20:14 -0700

What do I think of it?  Well, I found it a little tricky to get used to in
the beginning.  Now, I have developed a good sense for the metering pattern
with the lenses I use and get consistently good exposures.  The Canon
multisegment metering system is good.  I trust it.  You will almost always
get a usable exposure, but not necessarily a *great* exposure.  I have been
developing my skills with the M6 and using it has renewed my understanding
of light.  So while the Canon generally gives good exposures on auto, I can
always do alot better with the M6 and the intelligent multisegment meter in
my head.  ;-)

Of course, as Duane says, you can just set your EOS1n to spot mode and it
will indeed give you more accurate readings than your M6.  Unlike the M6
there is no ambiguity about the metering pattern.  It is sharply defined by
a pattern in the viewfinder...not to mention that the shutter is dead
accurate.

However, I find using the new AE/AF wonders in manual mode to be very
unintuitive and cumbersome.  If I'm shooting in manual mode, I'd much rather
work with an R6.2 or M6 than an EOS1n anyday.

- --Jim