Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon really has AF figured out...BLASHPEMY? Or it is?
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 10:51:00 -0700

Jim Laurel wrote:

> Actually, it seemed to spawn a pretty thoughful discussion.  I didn't get
> any flames, which is a testament to the reasoned thinking around here.  A
> few folks thought I was comparing the EOS1n to the M6.
>
> Clearly, the R8 is just not as suitable for the kind of subects I was
> working with on that trip.  But when you have the time to be very
> deliberate, I have no doubt that you could acheive better results with it.
> On my upcoming Spain trip, I don't anticipate any fast action and will have
> time to be deliberate.  The Canons are staying home this time.
>
> --Jim

Not so Clearly, you are forgetting Jim Bricks point about Zone Focusing.
Using AF Camera's has a way of making one forget about setting up your
camera to grab a sizeable or definite hunk of space in front of you and
point and shooting away. I shot people on carnival rides this weekend
and they were moving so fast past me that even looking through the
viewfinder was not an option. We were just pointing our preset cameras
at the people whizzing by on their little chairs, etc.
White water rafting just does not sound like a lower light situation
requiring AF.
Black water rafting however under the light of the silvery moon requires
the latest in predictive AF!
Mark Rabiner