Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux & 75/1.4
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 10:32:13 -0700

Daniele Coliva wrote:

> Dear LUGgers,
>
> I'm in deep trouble :-) in trying to solve this doubt of mine.
>
> As I've become so addicted to Leica M, I've completely neglected my
> SLR's, that is 2 Contax bodies and a few lenses. SInce I got my first
> M6 last year, they have been resting.
> I know it's a pity, but I can't help it! Whenever I go out with the
> camera I take my M's. In other words, there's no more feeling :-), if
> you see what I mean.
>
> On the other hand, I think it's a pity to leave that equipment alone,
> especially thinking of the money it costed, so I've decided to put it
> at use, that is trade it for other photo equipment I know I'll use for
> sure.
>
> Here comes the problem. I was thinking about getting the Summilux
> 75/1.4, but I'm afraid it overlaps with my Noctilux. Unfortunately
> Erwin hasn't made a thorough review of the Summilux yet (I loved the
> recent one about the Nocti!).
>
> Anybody can please give me a few hints about the Summilux? Is it
> specialized in low light situations or can it be used in any light?
>
> One last question for Erwin and for those lucky ones who already have
> the 90 apo-asph: how do these two lenses compare to each other, apart
> from the focal lenghts issue?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for your inputs.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniele Coliva
More than one of us have the Summilux as their favorite lens so the
issue to them of it not being that latest in Leica ASPH and/or APO is
not the issue.  The Summilux is a classic that has been out for a while.
It might be due for an ASPH/APO upgrade. But if it is or not or if it
needs it what we are comparing it to is the new 90 ASPH/APO which Erwin
convincingly states and I'd be amazed if it were not true that it sets a
new standard in short teles (or long focus as Marc would state). I
believe this new lens is so blazingly good that it is be hard to compare
any lens against it, but the newer the better. The also brand new 135 is
more fit for comparison as it came out the same time as the 90,
yesterday. This almost makes Leica seem trendy. But as technology
marches on it marches faster and I see the Leica as the lowest tech
camera with the highest tech glass. And that's how I like my cameras.
Mark Rabiner
And I do believe that Erwins numbers and words represent images that can
be seen in results from normal films and techniques although he himself
often says that certain things can only be seen with sandbaged tripods
and hi res films and a nice sized print.