Subject: RE: [Leica] Canon really has AF figured out...BLASHPEMY? Or it i s?
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 09:26:56 -0700

Nathan,

Perhaps you are right, but the relative age is also indicative of the age of
the equipment and how long it has been around/collected.  I am sure we will
find some twenty somethings who use Leica Ms as well, but it was just a
general statement.  Most twenty somethings (and some thirty somethings and
older) getting into photography will probably look elsewhere was my point.
This large market of Generation X plus is being missed by Leica.
This is kind of analogous to what happened in the car industry if you think
about it.  Honda, Toyota and others became the Boomers car of choice when
they had little money.  The loyalty they developed with a reliability car
was seen in future sales of Lexus, Acura and others as the boomers got older
and look for a more luxurious car.  In the meantime, GM and their Olds and
Cadillac division suffered as the older folks that comprised their market
was gradually dwindling.  How many people would take a Cadillac over a Lexus
today? Few, I would think. For me I would opt for Lexus or Acura first.
Cadillac is much further down the line. (BTW, I currently own an American
car - Plymouth, so its not like I prefer an import).  Now I am sure someone
will rebutt with a BMW or Mercedes, but my point is not to compare cars,
just a simple analogy.

Peter K