Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M6 Viewfinder
From: Javier Perez <japho@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 00:09:08 -0400

I agree.
Folks seem to get stuck on the M3. Their reasons usually center around issues
of
solidness, smoothness and focusing accuracy. I think the toughness part
started way back when some neurotics objected to the plastic pivoting tip
on the M4 advance. As for accuracy, sure, the specs speak for themselves. The
M3
has a larger effective base, but the M4 and later models have enough base to
focus a 135 elmarit with googles
and an elmar without, both at full aperture. As for the smoothness, this has
less to do
with the frictional arguments of steel motor capable gears VS old brass gears
than it does
with the careful centering of the 33 gear idler and just enough play and good
alignment on the
main advance assy. In fact any M can be made as smooth as an M3 in my opinion.

Of course I adore the M3, who wouldn't, And I'll readily admit that it's
slightly better assembled that the early m6s
The curtains on my early m6 aint quite parellel!
But if stuck on a desert island I'de rather be stuck with an M6. (in addition
to the supermodel)

BTW: I'm also a fanatical defender of the M4-2

See Ya
Javier