Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon really has AF figured out...
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 19:06:25 -0600

Snipped some:
>Once again, I am very impressed with the Canon AF system.  At one
>section, I was using the 300 2.8L hand-held with server AI autofocus.  The
>rafts were coming so fast, that most of the time, they didn't look in focus
>to me when the shutter actuated, but predictive AF was doing its job.  The
>system accurately predicted the focus point when the shutter fired.  Focus
>on many shots was good enough to see minute detail, like graduated markings
>on water bottles.  Just amazing.
>
>I was never good enough in the old days to get such a high hit rate of
>in-focus images of subjects moving toward me with manual-focusing systems.
>
>On topic...Though I use and admire the R system, I think Leica will
>eventually have to compete at this level.  Would an R8, even with motor, and
>in the hands of an experienced user yeild as many usable photos as the EOS1n
>in this case?  I wonder.  It would seem that with this advanced AF stuff,
>you can concentrate on composition, which is really hard when you're sitting
>in a moving boat.
>
>--Jim

OK list, set your flame throwers to HIGH! I am wearing my asbestos suit.

It seems to me right now that there are 2 different camera system types
in the 35 mm SLR world.
1. Nikon/Canon/others Auto Focus cameras - Action cameras
2. Leica R (maybe Contax/Zeiss also) - Highest quality image cameras

The AF cameras are great for photographing what you have described above.
Use them outdoors with enough light to stop down a bit and the results
are really good. I have the F5 and 80-200 and use it this way. I get
many, many  more correctly focused pictures  than I ever could with
manual focusing.  I can work on composition and capturing the moment
instead of focusing. I thought this was heaven until I realized that the
new zooms are not much better (if at all) than all the 25 year old Nikon
glass I traded off.

These AFs are wonderful machines. But my Nikon gear does not give great
results at apertures larger than  f5.6.  (I want GREAT results, all caps)
I really miss (compared to Leica) being able to use the lens open and get
great sharp pictures.

The Leica R lens give excellent performance wide open, but I don't think
fast action can be handled as well as the AF cameras do. Anyone
agree/disagree? Please tell me about your experiences regarding this
issue.

I'm trying out a R8 outfit now. I'm seriously considering buying it.

Is this really an either/or situation or is there a middle ground?

Should I stay M Leica and Nikon?

Are the Canons much better than Nikon?

Please tell me about your experiences with the R Leicas.

Thanks,

Henry