Subject: Re: [Leica] and now, for something entirely different.... going p latinum
From: Michael Gardner <mikeg@neca.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 09:48:07 -0400

- --------------CD4C28A0DF898CDFD3941306

Buzz,
With all due respect, I believe you are confusing the hazards of heavy
exposure to powdered platinum metal with the low concentration of
platinum salt solutions used in platinum printing.  Platinum is not a
heavy metal, subject to accumulation in the body as in the case of
mercury or lead.  Platinum is one of the "noble metals" and is used in
jewelry, for example.  Bostick-Sullivan, seller of platinum photographic
materials has a good discussion of any potential hazards at their web
site:
http://bostick-sullivan.com/ControlPages/Index_page.htm
Regards,
Mike Gardner

Buzz Hausner wrote:

>      Platinum is a heavy metal and can be very dangerous if not
>      properly handled.  Inhalation of platinum tainted fumes, bathing
>      ones hands or other parts in a platinum laden liquid,  or dining
>      on the metal itself can cause severe nerve damage leading to a
>      Parkinson's Disease-like syndrome and even unto death.  HOWEVER,
>      if you work in a well ventilated room or, better yet, under a
>      hood with a fairly powerful evacuation fan and you wear gloves,
>      you should have no problem.  Before working with platinum, ask
>      the manufacturer to provide you with the MATERIAL SAFETY DATA
>      SHEET (known as the MSDS), which will detail personal protection
>      and measures to take if one is accidentally exposed to the
>      hazardous material.
>
>              Buzz Hausner

- --------------CD4C28A0DF898CDFD3941306

<HTML>
Buzz,
<BR>With all due respect, I believe you are confusing the hazards of heavy
exposure to powdered platinum metal with the low concentration of platinum
salt solutions used in platinum printing.&nbsp; Platinum is not a heavy
metal, subject to accumulation in the body as in the case of mercury or
lead.&nbsp; Platinum is one of the "noble metals" and is used in jewelry,
for example.&nbsp; Bostick-Sullivan, seller of platinum photographic materials
has a good discussion of any potential hazards at their web site:
<BR><A HREF="http://bostick-sullivan.com/ControlPages/Index_page.htm">http://bostick-sullivan.com/ControlPages/Index_page.htm</A>
<BR>Regards,
<BR>Mike Gardner

<P>Buzz Hausner wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;
<UL><FONT FACE="Book Antiqua"><FONT COLOR="#0000FF"><FONT SIZE=-1>Platinum
is a heavy metal and can be very dangerous if not properly handled.&nbsp;
Inhalation of platinum tainted fumes, bathing ones hands or other parts
in a platinum laden liquid,&nbsp; or dining on the metal itself can cause
severe nerve damage leading to a Parkinson's Disease-like syndrome and
even unto death.&nbsp; HOWEVER, if you work in a well ventilated room or,
better yet, under a hood with a fairly powerful evacuation fan and you
wear gloves, you should have no problem.&nbsp; Before working with platinum,
ask the manufacturer to provide you with the MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
(known as the MSDS), which will detail personal protection and measures
to take if one is accidentally exposed to the hazardous material.</FONT></FONT></FONT>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT FACE="Book Antiqua"><FONT COLOR="#0000FF"><FONT SIZE=-1>Buzz
Hausner</FONT></FONT></FONT></UL>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

- --------------CD4C28A0DF898CDFD3941306--