Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Camera Bags
From: Austin Burbridge <LIGHTandPOWER@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 12:11:12 -0700

>Crooks don't even want to steal cameras, as there is no market for hot
>cameras.  They will steal $2,500 worth of gear and net, at most, $50 for
>their risk and trouble, while a good car stereo will bring them $100 and a
>TV $150.  If they KNOW you have a camera in the bag, they'll leave you
>alone:  they're hoping it has something exotic in it, like a boom box or a
>gun.

This is under the happy assumption that 'crooks' are just small businessmen
on the make, that some thinking happens at all; but much theft is simple
predation, aggression unalloyed with premeditation of any kind. My
experience has been that they don't care what's in your bag: they take it
because they can, and only 'think' (if it can be called that) about its
contents later. That's how I was relieved of my first Leica!