Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Re: "demos"
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 08:35:07 -0700

Jim, like you I feel that Leica has treated me well.  But I haven't been so
lucky with new equipment.  Let's see, out of 2 M bodies, 6 M lenses, 1 R
body, 3 R lenses...I've had 1 bad M body (shutter bounce at high speeds) and
an R body that refused to extinguish the aux viewfinder light, even though
the switch was turned to the off position.  Both times, I walked into the
dealer and they replaced the equipment on the spot with a smile and no
questions asked.  Recently, I also returned a Tri-Elmar, which I felt was
performing sub par.  Again, money refunded with no questions.  I actually
replaced it with a Elmarit-M 28.

On the other hand, since 1979, I have purchased 8 Canon SLR bodies, 9 FD
lenses, 8 EF lenses plus various accessories.  Never once have I had
occasion to return a Canon product.  Never once has a Canon product failed
me in the field.  However, I am still sore at Canon for stranding all the FD
system users when they made the transition to EF.  I was forced to switch
when they refused to maintain my older cameras, and simple things like
finders and screens for the F1s became nigh impossible to locate.

No value judgement here...I enjoy the Leicas tremendously.  Just my personal
experience.  Typically, I use the EOS and M systems together, which works
well for me.

- --Jim Laurel