Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital is here! (arhival inks, too)
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 01:02:08 -0600

Doug Herr wrote:

> I've had about 10 years' experience printing Cibachromes but nothing could
> have prepared me for the results.  I'll NEVER make prints in a chemical
> darkroom again!  These prints, from a standard PhotoCD scan, made with a
> consumer-grade inkjet printer, are drop-dead gorgeous!  And just think-
> there's a LightJet 5000 here in Sacramento!!  I can hardly wait!

Doug, here's something more to get you excited: Archival ink kits for
the Epson printers, including a brand-new quad-tone greyscale kit! I can
hardly wait to get my Stylus Photo 1200!! I've got the big new Sony
monitor running fine, I've got Painter 5 and GIMP 1.04 and a ton of
images--all I need are scans and that printer!

http://www.missupply.com/store.cgi?cart_id=3891733.26614&page=arcinks.html

There are exceptions, of course, but for me, most Ilfochrome prints that
I've seen, while technically very pretty, lack a certain something. To
paraphrase a well-known writer, the beauty reaches the backs of your
eyeballs, and goes no further.

What's a LightJet print (say 11 x 14/A3) go for these days, if you
supply the drum scan, and how does it currently handle that bane of
digital, clear blue skies?

Jeff