Subject: [Leica] Digital is here!
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 00:50:34 -0400

A few weeks ago I ordered some scans of several of my favorite Kodachromes;
the scans were burned onto a standard-grade PhotoCD, then I popped the CD
into a G3 Mac and started playing with PhotoShop.

The initial results I've posted on my website.  Without a digital scan and
PhotoShop (or an equivalent program), I would have been embarrassed to
display several of the photos on my website.  Earlier today, confident that
the computer system is finally calibrated right, I started making prints.
The printer is an Epson Stylus color 740, a consumer-grade inkjet printer
which cost me all of $250.  With the Epson came a package of paper samples,
including a few sheets of glossy photo paper.  I made a few test prints on
plain paper, them loaded a sheet of the Glossy paper, held my breath and
clicked "print".

I've had about 10 years' experience printing Cibachromes but nothing could
have prepared me for the results.  I'll NEVER make prints in a chemical
darkroom again!  These prints, from a standard PhotoCD scan, made with a
consumer-grade inkjet printer, are drop-dead gorgeous!  And just think-
there's a LightJet 5000 here in Sacramento!!  I can hardly wait!

Consider the degree of control over the image you have with PhotoShop:  You
can control the color balance, density, contrast, and color saturation not
only over the entire image area, but in any micro-region of the photo that
may need it.  You can get rid of dust spots, scratches and other defects at
the pixel level - and then SAVE THE FILE!!

Now for the bad news:  If your technique isn't adequate it will show up in
your scans.  The least bit of camera motion or focus error will be obvious.
 If your technique is good you'll see just how much information your
camera/lens/film system is capable of recording.  It's far more than you
ever thought.  The good news? We're using Leica glass!  My scans of photos
made with non-Leica equipment are noticably weaker.  A print from a
well-prepared digtial file made from a Leica photo will shine like never
before.

Doug Herr
Sacramento