Subject: Re: [Leica] Puppisms
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 09:56:10 -0700

Guy Bennett wrote:

> >The true beauty of your parallel lines doesn't happen until that puppy is
> >bolted down securely and LEVEL!
>
> does anyone know the origin of the 'pup'/'puppy' metaphor as used here? i
> realize this is off-topic, but what the hell.
>
> thanks
>
> guy bennett

There was a puppy farm in East Connecticut. There was a guy there named
Harvey who was quite fond of these puppies. He was always saying things
like. Move that puppy over there so we can clean that poop up. One day
they were refurbishing one of the puppyruns and Harvey asked his wife
Sylvia if she would hand him a wrench from the tools spread around the
toolbox.
"This one Here?" she asked pointing to a wrench.
"No, I'll take that puppy over there"
Pretty soon their household located across the puppyfarm was overrun
with puppyisms.
"Did you get some sugar in your espresso Darling?" Sylvia asked
"I'll take that puppy over there" Harvey said as he was prone to reply
to anything.
Marvin, Harvey's day time help overheard Harvey referring to hammers and
sugar as puppies and brought the expression into town were everyone
started doing it.
Than the Frito's delivery guy overheard someone in the town saying...you
know and took the expression on his route. The rest is the history of
the semantics, euphemisms or one of those puppies of puppisms.
Mark Rabiner