Subject: Re: [Leica] Opinions and LUGites
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 12:10:38 -0400

 Martin-
I had always heard that the Chinese language, or more properly, languages,
were almost totally dependent on intonation and inflection to determine the
context- that a staement, a question and an exclamation might be pronounced
and spoken the same, but relied on intonation for actual 'meaning'
I had also heard that English, rich in word borrowed from every conceivable
language, use position and tense to clarify meaning... It is not until you
sit at a keyboard, and try to convey something other thatn a simple
declaritive that you realize the 'human' quality of the spoken word!
In the same vein, I imagine that email to, from and between Chinese speaking
people might be even harder! Maybe Dr. Yao might weigh in on this- are we
Westerners hard to comprehend?
I think too, and I am doubly guilty, being impusive and with a sometimes too
sharp tongue, that we forget that English is not the native or even second
language of many of our members, and I often type away, totally oblivious to
that fact. I often don't consider the limitations, or the different phrasing
that someone else may have learned, but I don't use! I know that English is
very 'relaxed'- in that I can read Guido's posts in their charming
Italianate syntax, and it still makes sense ( Basically, you can butcher the
english language and still be understood!) However, how many of the members
are often lost because we use a syntax or sentence structure strange to
them? ( I recall Latin- words in any order you want, but watch those
ending!)
If I come across to any of our friends as unclear- DON"T HESITATE to ask me
to clarify! I won't be offended, and maybe I'll learn something in the
process!
Sorry for the long post, but I know I have ruffled a few feathers ( oops-
there I go again!) and would hope that anyone feeling slighted, or offended
let me know!
Ciao!, Arrivederci, Au revoir, Auf wiedersehen, Erin go Bragh, Al aikem
salaam, Hasta la  vista, and Shalom!
Dan (Writing skill better than a trained Chimpanzee? Well, call me a
Monkey's Uncle!)