Subject: Re: [Leica] A sad press story in the UK again
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 16:33:10 -0400

At 10:23 PM 5/27/99 +0200, you wrote:
>A sad press story in the UK again.
>
>I wonder if some Luggers know that yesterday, The Sun published a picture
>where Sophie Rhys-Jones' (34) naked breast can be admired. Rhys-Jones
>will marry Prince Edward on 19 June.
>
>The picture was shot about 10 years ago in Spain while Sophie was on a
>business trip with colleagues from the radio station for which they were
>doing p.r. work.
>
>The Sun has bought the picture from the person who took the shot, one of
>Sophie's colleagues at that time. He was offered no less than 400,000 USD
>!!!
>This person was promptly fired by the radio station when the news
>appeared in the paper yesterday.
>Guess he didn't need to work for them any longer in any case...
>
>Three personal comments:
>1. Where is the relevance of such image?

There is none. What's the question?

This picture was taken in
>another context and it is hypocrite to make a fuss about this right now
>that she is about to marry Prince Edward. The picture just displays a
>funny situation that happened 10 years ago.

>2. This affair does raise a couple of questions, not only on the
>inexcusable behavior of her former colleague, but sadly enough also on
>professional press ethics (at least, of some sort of press).

The Sun is the daily equivalent of the National Enquirer in the U.S. To
attempt to link the terms "professional press ethics" and The Sun is to
attempt to create an oxymoron.
>3. Beware of colleagues... ;-)

You got that right.

>The picture has been seen in many internet newsgroups and on sites
>yesterday.

But all of this makes me ask....So what? This isn't a "photo journalism"
issue - it's a question of how low public taste will go.... :-)