Subject: Re: [Leica] Situations that beg for a UV protection filter
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 15:58:31 -0200

At 09:57 PM 25/05/99 -0700, you wrote:
>There are situations where a protection filter might be warranted:
>
>While photographing in a sand storm that is stripping your car of paint.
>
>While photographing a mobile home park in the midst of a tornado,
>hurricane, or cyclone.
>
>Standing and photographing under the giant ladle, in a steel mill, when it
>starts pouring. You need a UV filter over your head as well.

        While Jim is using humour to make his point, I'll take a serious
note and point out that professionals DO USE UV filters to protect front
elements.... not to mention to achieve a warmer tone that seems to be absent
in most E-6 film these days.
        My cameras get used EVERYDAY and usually in environments that are
not camera friendly.  I DO HAVE cameras that have been "sand blasted".

A list of lens destroying assignments:

Oil Rig drilling floors (drill mud, caustic drilling fluid, concrete dust..)
Motor racing (flying rocks, dust, rubber, oil....)
Fishing Trawlers (salt spray, fish guts)
Metal fabrication shops and steel mills (flying bits of hot metal)
Mines and mining (dust, dirt....)
Icing conditions (you can't scrape ice off of a lens like you would your
windshield)
Labs and Test facilities (chemicals, burning things, flying things)

Any outdoor assignment where there is dust/debris and wind.
Any assignment where cameras have to be carried out of cases and get banged
around in cars, trucks, helicopters, boats, armored personnel carriers.....

At least once a year a UV filter sacrifices it's life to save one of my lenses.

With all that said..... I will take off the filters when I shoot at night
and (IF SAFE) when shooting into a light source.

OH, YEAH!  ONE MORE.....

Agriculture!!!  COW POOP... definitely requires a UV filter.

 ...happy Birthday, Ted!

I am off to Scotland this week so I'll toast your birthday on the first
distillery tour I come across.

regards,
Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
http://www.straylight.ca/locke
TOUCHED BY FIRE: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
McClelland & Stewart Canada.  ISBN#0-7710-5305-3
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm