Subject: Re: [Leica] another new kid
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 08:52:42 -0700

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Welcome to the list. I am in the process of reading the latest edition of the
> Anchell & Troop book, and they do mention D3200. The book is very good but it
> is not gospel and some of the authors' opinions (like their dislike of the
> Delta and T-Max films) are certainly not universally shared. I read their
> statement about Jobo a few weeks after buying my first Jobo processor, and so
> far I am very happy with the negatives produced in it. For me, any small
> disadvantage from continuous agitation is outweighed by the convenience and
> most importantly consistency provided by the Jobo.
>
> I love D3200, finding that it gives me nice printable (scannable) negatives
> that I was unable to obtain with TMZ. I rate it at 1200 and develop in XTOL
> stock for 7 to 71/2 minutes at 20°C/68°F. Bob Bedwell (also here on the LUG)
> prefers a shorter development time of 61/2 minutes.
>
> Nathan
>
> NASEN Dave Purchase wrote:
>
> > Folks,
> > Long to Leica, new to the list, and recently returned to photography after
> > several years, I have a few questions if you have the time.
> > 1.  My standard film has been tri x at EI 250 in HC 110 dil b, I now need a
> > b&w at EI 800-1000.  I suspect that Delta 3200 would be a good first choice
> > but my copy of Anchell and Troop's Cookbook does not list it.  Any
> > film/developer/time suggestions?
> > 2. Why are there such conflicting positions about Jobo or other machine
> > processing for 35mm film, with some saying they use them consistently and
> > others (Anchell and Troop included) saying they will not give good results
> > when compared to hand development because of constant agitation?
snip
> > Thanks for your time.
> > Dave Purchase
> > Tacoma  WA
>
> --
> Nathan Wajsman
> Overijse, Belgium

I agree that although Anchell and Troop dish out new insights and
revelations by the handful they are interspersed with enough stuff that
goes against my direct experience to not have me keep the book in it's
own personal shrine. And bad timing made the book come out just a few
Months before the Delta 3200.
The easiest negs I have ever printed from are TMZ (TmaxP3200) Developed
in Rodinal 1/50 and rated @ 1600. You can jack up the contrast as high
as you like for full brilliance and grain effect and you still have very
little dodging and burning to do. The tones are always inexplicably
right there.
Mark Rabiner