Subject: Re: [Leica] UV filters - and other one-sided "holy wars"
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 09:51:10 -0400

Doug-
Nicely reasoned post, and much needed, but like all good free advice, this
will rarely be taken!
I just live with it, since there are more important things to worry about! I
can give you an example!

The young lady who works with me at the camera store had the opportunity to
take a Pentax Photo seminar at Grandfather Mountain, in NC. She dutifully
took her two Nikons- an N70 and an N90, with her collection of lenses, and
her new Sekonic 508 to learn as much as she could so she could help our
customers. I did the prints of some of her film, and commented that she had
used a UV filter, and that it was on a zoom lens... and that she was not
using a shade; she was amazed that I knew what she was using just from the
prints, until I showed her clearly the two large amorphous flare spots
caused by the filter, and the several hexagonal flare spots in line that
were caused by the 13 element- 10 group zoom!
So, there is one more believer! We just have to work on them one at a time!
There is no teacher quite so thorough or harsh as experience, but these are
the best lessons, and long remembered.
Dan