Subject: Re: [Leica] UV filters - and other one-sided "holy wars"
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 17:24:39 +0400

Doug Richardson wrote:

> Reading some of the forcefully-expressed opinions of the anti-filter
> brigade, I'm slightly mystified by the one-sided nature of the
> discussion - the pro-filter zealots doesn't seem to suffer the same
> urge to express themselves so hotly.

Interesting observation! Perhaps it a psychological thing deriving from
a majority-minority juxtaposition. The majority of camera owners use
filters to protect their lenses, and they feel the relaxing comfort that
being part of a majority gives to people (why worry if you do what
everybody else does; "100 million people can't be wrong"). The
non-filter lobby, on the other hand, feels hard pressed to explain why
they do not do the seemingly obvious, i.e. cover their $2000 lens with a
$10 piece of glass.

> Similarly, whenever a long thread of interest to collectors starts to
> strain the patience of the users, the latter start calling the
> collectors "geeks", telling them to get a life and start taking
> pictures - you rarely see attacks on users by collectors.

Well, it would seem odd even for the most insane among collectors, to
bash people for *using* a camera!

> Why do we have these one-sided non-debates where one faction seems
> determined that its opinion must prevail? Can't we all respect the
> other guy's viewpoint a bit more?

Ego. Ego makes the world go round. Without it, Leica engineers wouldn't
try so hard.

> After all, much of what is being discussed on the LUG is a matter not
> of fact but of opinion

Oh, really? Now that's just your opinion.

Bernard