Subject: Re: [Leica] My new IIIf
From: Xavier Logean <xavier.logean@epfl.ch>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 12:45:38 +0200

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> My new IIIf just arrived from the Leica Shop in Vienna, along with a 3.5
> Elmar. Unfortunately, I still have not gotten hold of a manual, so
> perhaps some of you can help me. As I look and handle the camera, I have
> several stupid questions, and I am afraid to experiment lest I damage
> this 50-year old jewel.
>
> 1) The lens is already mounted on the camera. If I grab it by the ribbed
> front element, I can rotate it freely--is this normal?

Hi Nathan,

supposing that the lense is collapsed, you grab it and pull it out and
then,
when it is completely out, you turn it a little bit clockwise and this will
block the lens out.

> There is also a
> bit of play in the lens, i.e. I can move it sideways and up & down ever
> so slightly--again, is this normal?
>
> 2) To collapse it, I can simply push it in. I am assuming that the lens
> should be in the infinity position when I do that, is this correct?

To collapse it you just have to push it in

> 3) How do I take the lens off? Do I simply turn it and if so, is it
> clockwise or counterclockwise?

It's like a usual screw: counterclockwise to unscrew. The easiest way is to
block the lens at infinity and then
use the focuss trigger and the small trigger on the other side of the lens
(on the scale of distance) to turn the lens.

> And does the lens have to be collapsed or
> extended when mounting/dismounting?

doesn't matter.

> 4) I have no idea how to change shutter speed. I can figure out the slow
> speeds, but how do I set one of the faster speeds? The fast shutter dial
> is in the 25-1 position. When I cock the shutter, it will not move from
> that position. When the shutter is uncocked, the fast dial is somewhere
> between 1000 and B, and turning it has no effect--it simply springs back
> to its position.

I think you have to pull it up and then turn the shutter dial to the right
speed

Sorry, I can't help you for that I'm a M user.

Happy shooting with this jewel!

Xavier