Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: 180/3.4 APO-Telyt-R and TCs
From: "Andrew S Jordan" <andrewsjordan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 00:26:45 -0400

FRIENDS: I own the 180f3.4 apo and I agree that it is an extraordinary lens
at long distances. When the original 2x converter came out I had this
foolish hope that in combination with the apo I will have a useful 360mm
f6.8 tele lens. But after a few months the degradation image quality was
obvious. Actually, enlarging half the negative taken with the apo alone was
superior to the apo+converter shot.  Subsequently, I traded the 2x for some
more useful Leica item. Of course, the latest apo 2x converter may offer a
superior combination with the 280mm f3.4.
But I am hesitant to use any converter, including the awful M-lens converter
made in Japan. I also owned a 1.4x Mutar for the Rolleiflex 120/220 75mm
f3.5 Planar. While this prime lens compares favorably with the 100mm f3.5
lens for the Hasselbad, the converter again degraded the image.

regards, Andrew Jordan