Subject: [Leica] how did I deserve this?!?
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 22:26:22 -0400

A good friend of mine who has been working at seasonal jobs for a number of
years passed through my home today en route to his summer job as a park
ranger at Sequoia National Park (California).  For reasons I can't imagine
he chose to not take any photographic equipment with him.  His arsenal
includes a Leicaflex SL, a Leica R-E, and lenses from 21mm to 560mm.
Knowing my photographic passion he's leaving a few of his lenses in my
humble yet ecstatic possession for the summer:  a 21mm f/4.0
Super-Angulon-R, a 100mm f/2.8 APO-Macro-Elmarit-R, and his 180mm f/3.4
APO-Telyt.

These lenses have all suffered from neglect: the 180 has a piece of
electrical tape holding the hood in a partly-extended position, the 100 APO
has a sluggish aperture, and the 21 had a soft drink dumped on it and the
aperture control ring is extremely stiff: nothing that a good cleaning
can't fix.

I protested, surely he'd want his equipment in Sequoia National Park?  But
no, my protest was in vain (as I planned).  This is gonna be a *GREAT*
summer!

Doug Herr
Sacramento