Subject: Re: [Leica] Opinions on a Kobayashi 28/2.8 lens??
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <yaojkfdr@netvigator.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 01:14:00 +0800

Bob,

Are you sure it was a Kobayashi and not a Kobalux?  I have a Kobalux
21/2.8 LTM and it is the same lens that is offered by Adorama for US$650
or so, including a finder.  The lens is rather large and takes 58mm
filters.  The finder is also rather over-sized, almost as large as the
screw mount itself.  I have seen the same lens sold under the Avenar and
Pasoptick labels.

It is not a bad lens, a bit soft wide open, but sharp from f/5.6
onwards.  It is also rangefinder-coupled.  It is a viable alternative if
you do not want to pay top dollar for the Elmarit 21 ASPH., although I
feel the latest Ricoh 21/3.5 LTM at approx. $1k is a better choice.  If
the lens you spotted is the same lens and is in good condition for under
$400, then I cannot see why you should not buy it.

Hope this helps.

Joseph