Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Beattie Intenscreen for Leica R4-7
From: "4Season" <4Season@boulder.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 21:45:58 -0600

I've had terrific results with the Beattle screens for Rolleiflex SL66 and
Hasselblad--absolutely delighted with everything except the fact that not
even B+H seems to stock them for immediate delivery. I didn't buy an
Accu-Matte because my favorite full-grid pattern with no split-image or
microprism wasn't available. Even with the SL66 bellows racked out almost
fully, with the lens closed down to f/16 *and*a polarizer in use, I could
generally still make out details pretty good using the Beattie
screen--enough to gauge the effects of lens tilt. I haven't tried the other
brands, but seem to recall paying around $125 for a Beattie, which I presume
is far cheaper than the others. Compared to the circa-1987 stock Hasselblad
screen, the Beattie screen is about 4 stops brighter. Of course, the stock
Rollei and Hasselblad screens were bad by today's standards, whereas I find
the Leica R screens pretty good as-is.

What makes one viewscreen brighter than another, anyhow? I'm under the
impression that they present the viewer with a narrower but more
concentrated cone of light, but it hasn't been a problem at all on the 6x6
SLRs.

Jeff