Subject: [Leica] Re: Erwin's tests
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:00:53 -0700

This is very commendable and when possible, one should look closely at the
results one obtains with the lenses that one owns.

HOWEVER...

Not many people have the connections to be able to borrow a 70-180 APO
zoom, or a 180/2 APO, or a 90 ASPH APO, or a 24 ASPH, or a 135/3.4 APO, or
a Noctilux, or a 35-70/2.8 APO zoom, or  a, or a, or a...

Erwin is testing all of the stuff that we all WANT, but have NO WAY OF
BORROWING, for the time required to...

"Have the camera on a tripod. One shot at each f-stop. As there are more
frames on a film than there a f-stops, you may wish to make two or three
series at different distances. Develop as you always do and make some
enlargements the largest size you normally make. There is normally no need
to make enlargements corresponding to all f-stops. Then compare with same
size enlargement (___ same subject___) from a negative ( same film, same
developer etc..)  made with a lens you know is good/excellent or whatever
standard you set."  ...whew!

Plus, not many people have a darkroom.

So this is NOT an alternative to Erwin's tests.

It is a good test, but basically made with gear you already have. Not gear
you might want.

Erwin's tests are scientifically user friendly. Using photographic terms to
describe optical performance. Just imagine the amount of time Erwin puts
into these tests. How many people, thinking about buying a new lens, have
the resources, time, and technical ability to do what Erwin is doing,
"before they buy the lens!" Very very few... I know of no one else.

I don't know about you, but I'm totally saturated with my regular work. I'm
ecstatic that I'm privy to Erwin's tests.

Erwin is an outstanding asset to the Leica community. Stop and think for a
moment, ,just how lucky we are.

Jim