Subject: Re: [Leica] First Leica Kit
From: "4Season" <4Season@boulder.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 19:33:27 -0600

- -----Original Message-----
From: Brown, Dan <DBrown@uniden.com>
>Assuming I can live without an internal light meter, which Leica M body
>represents the best value for a "user" camera.  M3, M4, M6?  Any models
>to avoid?

Avoid? Any "new in box" camera more than a few years old. It probably will
need servicing due to neglect. But if you can get a great deal and/or find
that it has been de-gunked in the not-too-distant past, what the heck.

Buys? The non-TTL Leica M6 is a very good buy right now in the Ex+/M- range.
$1200 would be a fine price.  I'm simply not seeing great deals on older
models right now--many are cheaper initially, but lack some conveniences, or
likely need service. I have yet to find a clean, single-stroke M3 with
newish shutter curtains and refurbished RF assembly in the sub-$1K range.
When I see worn M6es advertised, the prices aren't much lower than ones
showing only slight use.

Chromed brass wears well, but it's heavy, so I prefer black lenses.

Jeff