Subject: [Leica] RE: First Leica kit,
From: DABirkey@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 21:52:43 EDT

Dan Brown wrote....

Assuming I can live without an internal light meter, which Leica M body
represents the best value for a "user" camera.  M3, M4, M6?  Any models
to avoid?

If you are going to use a 35mm lens a lot and especially if you wear
glasses..... I'd buy either a M-4 2, M-4 P or a M-6 mainly for the rewind
crank. (M-3's and M-2's have a knurled knob...)   I'd really recommend the
M-6 as a first camera as it really is nice to have a built in meter for
certain situations.  I would avoid an m-4 or M-5 since they often sell for
more than a comparable M-6..

I have some of my joys and frustrations with using Leica M cameras, along
with Leica images on my web page listed below (as well as some of my
recommendations for buying Leica....)

Duane

http://members.tripod.com/~Duane_Birkey/index.html