Subject: Re: [Leica] new Digilux arriving?
From: "4Season" <4Season@boulder.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 10:07:06 -0600

- -----Original Message-----
From: Dan S <dstate1@hotmail.com>

>Jeff, they have not made a portable digital camera yet that can actually
>fool you into thinking it was a film camera.

That's fine; if I could get a good 5x7 or 4x5 from it, that'd be good for a
start. The main thing is that it's handy and amenable to experimentation
(ie, does not insist on correcting"mistakes" introduced by addition of
filters, etc. AF/AE lock, exposure comp and manual white balance might be
important). I believe the current 2M-pixel Fuji costs about as much as 20
drum scans; less, when the film and processing costs are figured in.

When it's for a specific project, and someone else is picking up the tab, I
like using the Hasselblad and having drum scans made and yes indeed, the
results are good. But for one's non-paying work, it does make a person
become overly conservative as to which images get the royal treatment! Think
of this as my own, personal "box camera" experiment. Yes, I want an S1, but
even if I scored a terrific deal on one tomorrow, I don't think I'd be able
to haul it into the woods! Ditto with today's digital scanning backs. Yeah,
I suppose I should get a Polaroid back and some Type 54 for the bigger
cameras too, but gee, the Digilux is smaller than the film pack alone!

Jeff